Saturday, June 6, 2009

We Still Have Work To Do II

"Read an article from the New York Times about a high school in Georgia, that still has segregated proms. Guess I've been living with my head in the sand, but thought those times were long gone. You know what the sad thing in this was, and I guess not surprising to me, it wasn't the kids that wanted it that way, it was the parents."

Above is a selection from a friend's blog: http://oldyuthguy.blogspot.com

It's sad, but very true.  There are at least a dozen or more schools that I am aware of that have the same policies.  What bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be much attention given to these HUGE issues… in the church or media.  Also, how many additional schools/communities have the same policies that we aren't even aware of?

I think what really troubles me is the "us/them" mentality that exists, not just in our communities and schools, but also within the church.  We can't believe that schools and communities would allow such a thing to continue, but if we really look at the church, we are guilty of the same thing only on a MUCH larger scale!  I am talking about the Christian/sinner mentality.  We have our groups and ministries that feel good when we are all "on the same page" but when people come in and don't "play by the rules" we don't like it.  It's easier to be kind, smile and say "hi" to our neighbor rather than really loving, caring for them and inviting them in. 

Who are we to care for?  I believe the simple, yet profound lyrics of a children's song reminds us of who we are to love, reach and minister to; "red and yellow, black and white they are precious in His sight..."  I not only pray we become color blind, but also that we clearly see the eternal impact we are making.  Are we producing or preventing Kingdom growth?

Christians are not just causing hurt feelings and refusing to let someone attend a one-time event (like Prom), but actually impacting lives for eternity!   Mark's blog stated "we still have work to do" and I couldn't agree more, I just think the way should be lead by the church not the PTA!

2 comments:

Pastor Miles said...

GREAT STUFF. I am encouraged to read and the challenge presented in your post. Thank Mark for getting this ball rolling. I am very impressed with your blog and the directness in your approach.
Blessings

Jim N. said...

Great, great, great, great stuff Todd. Thanks